Short film planning

short film plan




      Genres:
  •  Horror- suspense = instant entertainment, easy to watch. However cannot be to gory or anything as I do not have accesses to SFX however I could do more research into make up effects.
  • Action- would be hard to pull off, could contact local services to get necessary shots. It would be very entertaining and keep audience focus
  • Crime/Mystery- something that keeps audience guessing trying to figure out what's going on, might be hard to do as everything ahs to be very particular, utilises all of mise en secene.
  • Genres I really like: I like comedy films, however for coursework is not a good idea as if i don't make it funny it's an instant fail. I really like the fantasy however for coursework I feel that without a large budget of company support it would fall short of it's intended perpouse. 
Short films I'd take inspiration from: Arrival (simple, intriguing/mystery) or The Fly (simple minimalistic, slight thriller)
      Narrative theories: 
  • Vladimir Propps-character roles - I would be less likely to use this as it requires a vast cast and one of my challenges in this piece would be finding actors. I also feel like to properly establish all these characters I would need more than 5 minuets. I feel this theory is relevant in the short film slap but this is about 20 minuets long, proving my previous point
  • Trododovs theory of equilibrium- This theory is fairly simple and does not require a great deal of thought. I would be very likely to use this theory as I think it would help me structure the plot and keep me focused. This theory can be seen in the short film the operator.
  • levi-strauss theory of binary opposites- I would really love to somehow incorporate this theory into my piece. I think it would add depth and meaning. The fly short film could be argued contains this theory, as the opposite of big and small, man and nature.
        what I am trying to get across to the audience:
Using stewart Hall reception theory I would say that I would want the audience to take away a negotiated reading. I would like to create something that creates a discussion amougst the audience and let them make up their own mind. For example in Slap the short film it is open to multiple interpretations and opinions on the events the unfold, it's not black and white. Or also in Over the events draw in audience and the end result sparks a discussion on immigration. 






What do I want the audience to take away:

According to Bulmer and Katz audience theory, audiences watch something to for fill a need e.g companionship or relaxation etc. I would want an audience to watch my film and feel on edge like they have to keep looking behind them, also a bit unsettled. Or I would want an audience to leave feeling warm and close to those around them. Maybe I could achieve both. For example I like how the audience is left feeling after Ellington kid.

Mine en scene:

I feel that costume would not too hard to do, as I can sew and make anything that I need. As mentioned before I don't think make up is a problem, I can learn how to create fake cuts and stuff if needed. Setting would be tough, I like the setting in Ellington kid or Arrival but I am not a professional and I cannot hire out whole places. If needed I could email local companies and enquire if I could film when they are closed, perhaps. Lighting wise I think I can work with basic touch lights as I have done this in past projects. I would try and select my cast carefully however I would say that I have fairly limited options.

cinematography, sound and editing:

I like the cinematography of Ellington kid, I would love to include cross cutting and cut aways in my film. I think it adds a lot of tension and drama to the piece. Sound wise I think music is very important but it might me hard when filming if there is dialogue, as wind or traffic can sometimes affect the quality of the audio. I take music tech so I'd love to somehow incoperate that into my final piece for a voice over or something, like the inner monologue in arrival.

           My favourite directors:
  • Tim Burton - I love how his films are so unique and stylistic, I'd also like to incorporate animation into my piece if possible
  •  Quinton Taranto - I like his unique cinematography, it's very visually appealing. Also it can get a bit gory. A little like the Ellington Kid
  • George Lucas - I like his ability to create a whole other completely immersive universe. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real film- inspiration for short film???

Final Setting POST 9